Friday, October 17, 2008

To detox, or not to detox...

that's my question.  I'm struggling with the decision.  I've been researching it a lot and it seems like for every positive aspect there is a couple  negatives too.  Anyway I'm looking into the master cleanse...anyone have any suggestions for me?   I'm not someone that can fast very long...I get pretty sick to my stomach when I don't eat pretty easy :(.   I haven't tried to detox in a little over 3 years but here are my reasons why I think I need to...


I'm super tired all the time, even when I sleep 8 hours 

I've ate more fast food since the birth of Ruby than I have in my entire life...not joking 

I absolutely have to have my coffee every morning or I am completely useless

I've been taking my migraine medication at least once a week since I quit nursing


I wanna jump start a "new" healthier lifestyle/eating habits but I'm one of those people that need motivation (hence the detox cleaning me out...literally :) I wont wanna put yucky stuff back into my system after I worked so hard to get it out) 

I've started to prepare myself for a detox (weaning myself off caffeine)...I would ideally like to start my detox November 1st if I do it.  Anyway if any of you have something that would help me to make my decision/experience easier I would appreciate it mucho!  Thanks

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear it's good for your body and has been a practice for promoting health for a long time. My mom does it (usually only for a week) every 3 or 4 months. I have done one where you only eat raw or steamed veggies (minus potatoes, carrots...anything too starchy) and fresh fruits (more berries, melons and citrus types). It's cleansing, but not quite as hard if you are someone that can't go long without food.

peteandjenn said...

So Pete and I have been doing a very relaxed kind of cleanse diet-thing for a the past couple weeks. (VERY relaxed- we still do beer Saturday and ice-cream Sunday). Anyway, pretty much we have cut out white flour and sugar which I know is not a lot but I have noticed a HUGE difference in my energy level. Unfortunately the scale's not budging but at least I feel so much more energetic.

I still do coffee and some diet soda (so bad, I know) but no or extremely limited wine, dessert, bread, pasta, yogurt, potatoes or anything super processed. Just trying to stick with meat, vegetables, fruit, brown rice, cheese and I eat whole grain cereal in the morning.
Anyway, this is the first time I've done anything like this and it's pretty easy and I feel so much better.
Pete does a real fast every year and he loves it. I tried to do it with him once and it was HORRIBLE. He said I wasn't allowed to do it again because all I could think/talk about was food. Oops.

The Guy and The Girl said...

as per our conversation. Phil and I are in for Nov 1st!

Anonymous said...

I think that a detox would do wonders for your body. However, if I were you, I wouldnt stress out about quitting the coffee. Coffee is beneficial to your body in moderation. ONCE A DAY IS FINE. It provides your body with a ton of antioxidants. Check into it.

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

So I have really been thinking about doing this myself...but as I'm researching my symptoms I'm finding that it may be an overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. There's all these vitamins and probiotics to help with this so I think I'm definitely hitting GNC soon. Let me know what you do.